Tuesday, April 22, 2003

The Cavite Adventure

I left Piolo the Maybe-Rabid Dog to the tender mercies of my family, their raised voices and their swatting slippers. I decided to show up at the Kids at Play Office along Taft Avenue. A good friend of mine had previously recommended me to Kids at Play as a warm body to fill the position of "Facilitator"-- kiddie teacher and part-time nanny. I mean, what the heck, right? I've been unemployedsince January, and I certainly needed the money for rabies shots and living expenses. Besides, I love kids. As long as I don't bite them, spit in their food or eyes, or get foamy at the mouth, everything should be fine.

(Seriously, I don't think I'm rabid. Piolo has not exhibited all that nasty rabid behavior since he sunk one into me weeks ago. If anything, he's less bitey now. Still, I'm getting those shots...)

Like the title says, the teaching/babysitting gig happens in Cavite; in one of those Aloha Kumon Centers that have cropped up over the past few years. The kids like me, I like them (keep your minds outta the gutter, you pervos!), and the parents seem to approve of my UP background, if not my hair and taste in clothes. So I really don't forsee problems except how the Aloha people are supposed to bring in more of the adorable little tykes within a week from today.

First lesson: the line is your best friend...

No comments: