Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Notes to Self

Manila day students-One of them, a male, is five (R). Another male is nine (P). I have a female student who is twelve (I think) (C) and another who is fourteen (Cm).

R still has no grasp of the relationship between lines and shadows. I suspect his grasp of the "hidden shape" in all the objects he is required to render is vague. But he is five years old, and that has to be taken into consideration. I have decided to continue giving him excercises designed to hone his control of the pencil. I'm trying hard to keep myself from being overly confucian in my teaching methods, but I'll have to hang onto such methods until R gets an epiphany.

P is worse off than R. He is baffled by most of the lessons so far and he is bored by the control excercises. He would rather draw characters from the asinine tv shows Beyblade and Crush Gear. I have modified my lesson plan regarding him. When he winds up drawing his Beyblade and Crush Gear dudes, I simply let him, give him pointers when an arm is too long or thin, or a face to big, too small or too puffy. I'm unsure if this is a good thing. He didn't do his assignment from last meeting. I made him do it in class.

Frankly, I am unsure of just what I'm going to do with him. Redesign the lesson plan, obviously. But how many times can I do this on the fly without trashing the module on pencil sketches and the other modules?

I guess I've seen firsthand why educators can get so godawful cranky.

C is coasting along just fine, if behind the learning schedule I've set for her. She's finally seeing the "hidden shape" in all things concept. Her control of the pencil has improved. I'm gonna need to make her copy from life soon.

Cm is by far the most advanced of my students. Her previous training bore much fruit-- she is a frighteningly accurate portraitist. Excluding the face and neck, however, her knowledge of anatomy is apparently spotty. She was referred to me because she wanted to "learn how to draw cartoons." And by that statement, she meant, drawing anime.

Because of the bewilderingly large number of styles (as many as there are manga/anime artists) and genres, I was at a loss as to how to teach this to her. Where was I supposed to start? She needed grounding in human anatomy. She needed to find her own style of drawing, while keeping it close enough to the unwritten anime/manga canon that she'll respect herself (and her teacher!) when she draws. I lent her some references for her to review. I'm again looking to rewrite the damn curriculum.

End of Log.

No comments: