Sunday, May 04, 2003

There's Something About My Sim

Yes. My brother and I have figured it out. The reason I can't use my celphone to connect via Globe GPRS or get any MMS messages, despite repeated downloads of GPRS and MMS settings, is that there really IS something wrong with my damned sim card.

We switched phones. Turns out he was able to access Globe's much-touted GPRS and MMS services with his sim via my phone. I couldn't do that much on his phone with my sim.

I'm left with the sour feeling of having been had.

What's With July?

There may be something that the people at Globe can do about this, so I'm due to make an appearance at one of their less-crowded offices-- as if I'd find any. Thanks to the special participation of one lanky, curly haired, big-nosed actor-wannabe whom we shall name "July" (not too much offense meant to him), the Globe Telecenters are filled cheek by jowl with people wanting to get on the "Be Like July" bandwagon.

It's a credit to the bright boys at Globe Marketing that they cooked up the "Be Like July" campaign. It helped that the bundled products and services are impressive for everyone else who can make use of his Globe GPRS service.

But the real hallmark of Globe's success is that the first person I want to strangle for my apparently stunted sim is not the suave people at Globe Marketing, but July.

Poor guy.

Sadly (gladly?), my wrath can neither reach him nor the bright boys at Globe Marketing. Not without money, influence, a top-notch unscrupulous lawyer and a solid alibi.

Okay, you know I'm kidding, right?

Notes to Self

Cavite-Curriculum needs adjustment. Four 2-hour sessions per module are just too damn short to instill a semblance of rigorous confucian discipline in the kids' drawing techniques. Some are still trying to learn how to use their pencils to draw lines with less pressure. Kids still have to cope with sloppy erasures.

The attempts to adopt and inculcate a confucian discipline may arguably prove to be too complex and too rigorous. However, I still believe that having the kids learn control at this early stage will serve them well. I've also done my best to temper the rigor and monotony with changes in routine.

I cannot deny the progress made with the kids at the Fe de Guzman School in Park Place, Cainta way back in '96.

I'd refer everyone reading this log to the notes and other sources in D. Buenaluz's seminal college thesis in 2000, which involved me and him teaching kids the finer points of control, but I don't have a copy on me right now.

Another problem (not toally unforseen) is difficulty switching from the "copy-what-you-see-as-you-see-it" mode of drawing to the "assembling-shapes-to-approximate-what-you-see" mode of drawing, as needed. The kids will need time and practice before they even begin to get it. There may not be enough time before the next module.

Still, most of the kids are confused but gung-ho. I worry about one kid in particular (funny, he kinda looks like you, Ian): he's young and his inability to fully grasp what I'm trying to instill may cost him in morale.

I must adjust my lesson plan accordingly.

No comments: