Saturday, September 20, 2003

The Return of Purpose

Dearest Ms. Eisley,

How have you been? Waking up to coffee and warm toast, I suppose.

Life has been, well, life. I've earned money and lost money, prostrated like crazy before prospective employers and jumped through their hoops like a circus monkey. The girlfriend and I have survived early the months of living together. I bought her a toaster with the first batch of money I got from teaching kids. She bought me a cabinet.

I've recently signed a contract with the people I work with. In sum, I'm their main backdrop man. I am to be paid such and such an amount for painting four walls (remember your wall at the College?) and spiffing them up so they appeal to theatergoers.

You crossed my mind since the last thing you were up to, if I remember correctly, was also painting walls. I feel the hand of some strange but welcome serendipity in this.

I feel alive again. Not that I didn't feel alive when I saw my girlfriend's smile upon her receipt of the toaster. That was a "for Honey" living moment. The contract was a living moment reserved "for me." I'm actually looking forward to the headaches that the new job will be flinging my way.

By the by, the walls will be shown in a play in the WOW PHILIPPINES area of Intramuros on the 27th of next month. Would be nice if you could make it there but I know what happens when I invite you to any of these things.

I hope you are doing well, wherever you are.

Your Poet

Kirk

No comments: