Tuesday, January 13, 2004

And So It Begins

I logged onto an egroup I belonged to. I was going to upload a few photos and look up my colleagues and friends. What greeted me was a potential public relations nightmare.

I had no idea that so many people could find me on the Web even if they weren't looking. The on-site software actually regurgitates, from some hidden database, links to other people (and yes, links to me), everytime a member loads up his "home" page. I'm big enough to see the advantages of this setup-- I'd lost contact with so many colleagues and friends over the years, and this feature allows me to hunt for them, or have them stumble into me.

I still think it's a bad idea though. The last thing I need is one group of colleagues confering with another group of colleagues. And raking me over the coals while they're at it. These kinds of interaction often lead to inappropriate and persistent questions about my lovelife and my character (or lack thereof). Everyone deserves a chance to build his or her life from the ashes of the old-- the bad calls, the burned bridges, the discarded sexual identity (as an extreme example)--especially after he or she has "paid the piper." This... this just ain't appropriate.

Maybe it's a fad; maybe it'll pass, like other fads before it. Maybe someone will remove the "link regurgitation" function and give me some peace of mind in the near future. Maybe I'll leave my egroup.

And maybe pigs will fly.

No comments: