Saturday, January 15, 2005

Letter to the Muse

Happy birthday.

I've been so busy the fact of it had snuck past me, blindsiding me like robbers in a Quiapo-bound jeepney plying the Project 8 route in the middle of the night.

How have you been?

I had to back out of a job at an art gallery-- pay too small, experience too little, job too big. Employer had best check back with me in three years.

Meantime, I've been working in Makati, of all places. Telemarketing, of all jobs. But one does what one has to to keep body and soul firmly rooted in the same spot. My contract's just ended. And with any decent luck, I should land a job with the same company doing their newsletter-- which I will redesign from the ground up, as soon as the funds get released.

I've had quite a year; and quite the new year's beginning-- I survived my first knife fight. I'm fine: the guy couldn't stab me because my bag was always in his way. I had to relinquish my bag though, because he had friends. Aside from minor wounds to flesh and pride, I am otherwise whole.

I haven't found impetus to write, not in a while. Though I think I'll be writing a lot in the light of recent events.

Please keep safe, dear. And enjoy the little surprises life throws your way. You are always in my thoughts, and I continually pray for your safety and happiness.

I remain,

your poet

No comments: