Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I'm Okay, You're Okay

I saw a wideband email post, celebrating the uniqueness of the individual. I would have liked to answer it point by point, build up the thesis that "Yes, while that may be true, if you ask your HR officer or anyone else who holds power or money that you want but can't have: it still doesn't count." But I just don't have the energy.

What would be the point? There are so many better things to do.

I'm Okay, You're Okay. Whatever lets us all sleep better at night. I'm willing to leave it at that.

Again, the Question of Worth
Any way you slice it, any real analysis of what a person is worth is going to be "not much" if you cut out God (treat Him as a palliative) and egalitarianism (treat it as a palliative). Even if you put God and egalitarianism back into the equation, you're still reduced to this:

everyone is unique, special. therefore no one is.
one man is as good as
[and therefore replaceable with] any other

At least God is much kinder: He's willing to leave his saved and well-off flock to look for that one idiot missing sheep. Talk about motivation.

If God is a lie, then some lies are worth perpetuating.

God as the Ultimate Stalker

Don't believe me? Read on--

He's obsessed with us. He wants to be the mainstay of our lives.
He has definite ideas about what our roles should be in His grand scheme. He has power over all of us. He's everywhere, sees everything and constantly works in the background to bring us closer to Him even if we don't like it. Especially if we don't like it.

I rest my case.

No comments: