Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Invitations to a Lawsuit

Occasionally I Google myself. Just for kicks. I use any combination of the names and aliases I've had just to see how deeply into my semi-personal life Big Brother can penetrate. Apparently Big Brother can penetrate pretty deep.

At a glance, any evil opportunistic marketing man will know my preferences (sexual, purchasing, political and what have you), my demographics and --with the help of the almighty NLP manual-- create a plan for a life-long relationship designed to part me from my money. (Still, one cannot live in this society without making concessions to the Marketing Man. Why does Mammon figure so prominently in my stories after all?)

At a glance, any shyster worth his law degree will be able to pick the contents of my mind, and in cop show parlance, "use [them] against me."

At a glance, any HR executive will be able to pick my brain and find all sorts of defects and impediments to hiring me if I ever decide to change jobs.

I don't have much to hide really. I do want the world to know that I care about this or that person, for example. I do want the world to know exactly what I think of how it (mis)handles its relationships and its priorities. I do want friends to know what I'm about. I just don;t want the rest of the universe to think that just because my view of human existence is by turns dark, joyful, full of unnecessary b.s. and pregnant with real meaning, I should not be allowed to hold this or that job, or I should not be allowed to love or express that love.

My blogs are pretty much public because I operate under the assumption that very few people really give a rat's behind about what goes on in Dexter's head. Most people-- even marketing men and lawyers-- will give my blogs a look, get lost in my drivel, and move on to something more interesting.

I've been wondering of late if I should be more secretive in the stuff I serve up on-line, considering that there are a boatload of links and entries that directly reference me or any of my other on-line personas. But I've found that editing and re-editing my online contact filters is tedious.

A quandary, yes. But one that is not worth losing sleep over. Not yet, at least.
 

No comments: